My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://codykimmel.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Judgment and Mercy

“For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt.” Exodus 12:12-13


In a single night, judgment and death came to the nation of Egypt. Imagine how horrible it must have been for the Egyptians. If I had been an Egyptian in the day of the final plague, I would have been dead. I am my father's first-born son. For the Egyptians, the night was filled with tears. For the Hebrews, however, the night of Passover was the greatest day in their history. The people of God were rejoicing while those whose hearts were hardened towards God were weeping. The good news of the message of Christ is seen perfectly in the salvation of Israel from Egypt. The nation of Israel received God's mercy by the slaying of a spotless lamb placed over the doorway of their home. Egypt was damned because their was no blood as the Lord passed over. For those who were covered by blood, God granted mercy. For those with no covering of blood, God granted judgment. Oh dear Christian, if we think the story of the salvation of Israel is merely a story of the past, then we are gravely wrong. Just as God passed over Egypt, Christ will come back again and pass over the earth. We don't know when he will come, but when he does, he will bring both mercy and judgment. And the ONLY people who will receive mercy are those whose hearts are covered by the blood of the Spotless Lamb!

Lord Jesus, cover us with your blood and grant us mercy as you pass over the world in judgment. Let your good news spread through the nations so their will be more rejoicing than weeping when you return!

No comments: