My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://codykimmel.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

How Quickly We Forget

"It is very usual for God's people, when they have enjoyed a great deliverance, to find a little trouble too much for them." -Charles Spurgeon


It is amazing how quickly I forget the greatness of God's redemption and begin to complain about pettiness. God will frequently do amazing things in my life. Whether it's a job that I needed, a scholarship, a friend comes to know Christ, a successful church event, or just an amazing time in which I am moved by his overwhelming presence. It would seem after such things my confidence would grow, my faith expand, and my anxieties over difficulties dissipate. But, just as Spurgeon observes, the smallest thing--a small car repair, a bad grade, a harsh word from a boss or spouse--will just knock me out and sending me running to God in despair. Can he not calm the storms? Can he not split the sea? Did he not lay the foundations of the earth? Did he not suffer on the cross and then rise again from the dead? It seems the moment our eyes get even just a glimpse of the true glory of God, we walk away squinting and just see the small things as bigger. Oh what sin in us! What war! The glory of God should shrink all pettiness to nothing and overwhelm us, but our sinful hearts can't handle His glory. So we forget it quickly.

Lord Jesus, help us to remember the great things you have done. Make the things of this world nothing to us, so we can focus on your glory completely!

No comments: