My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://codykimmel.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

I will begin my time at Dallas Theological Seminary on June 1st. I will start with Greek for the summer and then hit the fall semester with a pretty full load. I've been out of an academic setting for about two and a half years, and I'm pretty excited to get back into it. I'm one of those rare dorks that really likes school, and I can wait to smell the perfume of used textbooks mixed with coffee while I pour over a paper in the middle of the night.

As I prepare for this next stage in Lauren's and my life, it hits me that a lot is going to change in a few months. My time and priorities will have to be re-organized, my sleep patterns will shift, my work schedule will be revised, and my knowledge will hopefully be challenged and expanded deeply.

But there are a few things that I'm committed to keeping the same. And here they are:

1. I will maintain a growing love for my wife, no matter how tired I am, no matter how distracted I am with school. It is amazing how much love grows when you're married and making the marriage a priority. It's like everyday I get to find another reason to fall in love with Lauren, and I will stay committed to that.

2. No matter how academic a pursuit theology may be, my view of the Godhead will always be full of wonder and mystery. I think one of the greatest offenses we can commit towards God is approach thinking we understand Him. I know that studying at DTS will give me a lot of knowledge about the Bible and history and expository techniques, but I am committed to letting God become more mysterious the closer I get to Him.

3. I will not live outside of our means, including seminary. Right now we are in a position (through careful budgeting and saving) to afford seminary. But I don't want seminary to ever become more important than living financially responsible.

4. Date Lauren regularly.

I'm sure there are other things, but those are the ones I was musing over. I'm excited about the next phase, but during this calm before the storm, I feel it necessary to get my priorities straight.

No comments: